Test Scenario or Scenario Testing
A test scenario is a process to ensure that the functionality of the software product is meet with the business requirement with that we are guaranteed that the software product is working correctly irrespective of user condition and implementation environment.
Test Scenarios Definition
The main objective of this type of testing is to verify the performance and functionality of the complete product from an end-user respective. So for this, testers acted as the end-user and tried with use cases that can be implemented after the release of the product to the end customers.
Testing is another variation of testing like other testing processes. In scenario testing, test scenarios are used for the testing.
The exhaustive testing is not possible due to a large number of data combinations and a large number of possible paths in the software.
- Scenario testing is to make sure that the end to end functionality of the application under test is working as expected. Also, check if all business flows are working as expected.
- In scenario testing, the tester needs to put his/her foot in the end user’s shoes to check and perform the action as for how they are using the application under test.
- In scenario testing, the preparation of scenarios would be the most important part. To prepare the scenario, the tester needs to consult or take help from the client, stakeholder, or developers.
What Does Test Scenario Mean?
The test scenarios are an integral part of the software testing process, and it is used by the testers to ensure the test coverage and user usage by which testers can validate the software according to the business process flow. And below are some other reasons for creating test scenarios.
- It helps us to validate the test coverage.
- As the test scenarios are validated by the stakeholders like BA, developers, and customers to ensure that the software or product is thoroughly tested of all the functionality. So it also provides that the software is working accurately for the most common use cases.
- It also determines the testing flow of an organization and the testing efforts needed to test that application.
- This document also helps in getting an idea of the end-to-end functioning of the software and also helps to find out the process of how to use the product or software application.
- It helps the team to validate that the business process of the software application is working correctly.
Benefits of Test Scenario
Testing a software application with the use of test scenarios have various benefits to the testers, we are trying to list some of the benefits below:
- If the scenarios are prepared with a well thought and try to cover the various possible scenarios, then it helps to do repetitive testing of the same feature again and again.
- As good test scenarios help us to reduce to test the same functionality test again and again. Because of that, it also helps in reducing the effort time and money of the organization.
- Test cases are created based on test scenarios. If those test scenarios are prepared after deep thought, then that helps to produce meaningful test cases that check the software with the minimum effort.
- One of the biggest advantages of test cases is that, by using that testers verify the functionality and performance of the application from a user usage perspective.
Difference Between Test Cases Vs Test Scenario
Test Case is ‘How to be tested,’ and Test Scenario is ‘What to be tested.’ Test Case: A test case is a set of conditions or variables under which a tester will determine whether an application, software system or one of its features is working as it was originally established for it to do.
- The test case consists of a test case name, Precondition, steps/input condition, expected result.
- Test cases are low-level actions, and they can be derived from test scenarios
- The test case is given detailed information about if any pre-condition, what to test, how to test and expected result etc
- Test case means detailed documenting the cases which help to execute while testing.
- Test cases are a set of steps performed on the system to verify the expected output.
- Test cases are more important in the case where development is happening on-site, and QA is happening Offshored. It will help to understand and make both developers and QA in sync.
- Writing test cases is a one-time effort that can be used in the future while executing the regression test case. While reporting defects, it will help the tester to link the defect with the test case id.
- The detailed test case document is a full proof guard for the new software tester. If a developer missed something, then it is easy to catch while executing these full-proof test cases.
- It requires more time and resources due to a detailed test case which talks about how to test and what to test.
Read Also: Database Testing Test Cases Example
- The scenario document consists of a detailed test procedure. We can also say that a test scenario has many test cases associated with it. Before executing the test scenario, we need to think of test cases for each scenario.
- Test scenarios are the high-level classification of test requirements grouped depending on the functionality of a module, and it can be derived from use cases.
- The test scenario is a one-line statement that tells us about what to test.
- Test Scenarios means talking and thinking requirements in detail.
- This is a thread of operations.
- Test scenarios are more important when the time to write test cases is not sufficient, and team members agree with the detailed one-liner scenario.
- In new software testing generation, it is a new idea and time saver activity. The addition and modification (easy maintainability) of scenarios is easy and independent of a specific person.
- One of the most positive points about the test scenario is useful to reduce the complexity and repeatability of the product.
- If the scenario document was not detailed enough, then it might take some time to discuss and understand what the scenario is exactly talking about.
Test Scenario Template & Example
We are soon going to share the latest template of different test scenarios and also different examples that are going to help to test the functionality of the applications.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about this topic discussed above, then you can use our contact us page.