Selenium Tricky Interview Questions: Technical and Non Technical Questions I have faced in the Interviews(Capgemini, CTS, L&T, Tech Mahindra, Hyundai, IDP Education, ADP, HCL, Standard Chartered, and Fidelity):
If you go for any interview then-current days most of the time we are not getting the theoretical questions. Now organizations going one step ahead and they are asking scenario-based and selenium tricky interview questions.
Best tips for handling selenium troubleshooting questions:
A scenario-based interview question is more tricky as they tend to test your ability to think creatively and respond accordingly.
Come prepared – if you are not sure about the technique then just go through the pretextual structure that I outlined at first of this article or do some brainstorming before conducting such interviews with your team members.
Express yourself – we all know how difficult it is to wrap something in just a few words. So there is no need to be short-tempered while talking about your concern or ideas to solve the issue at hand. It helps you show that you are not scared of asking questions too which will make everyone else calm down as well.
The tough part with selenium testing is really perfecting this technique together but I am sure by now it has become pretty easy for us right?
Update: If you want to raise your skills even further with Selenium, then I highly recommend the below Selenium Tricky Interview Questions.
Selenium Tricky Interview Questions that will make you a better Selenium tester. How do I pick up the below questioning? After years of performing and hiring technical folks, we think we have nailed down the groundwork to were quite some time is condensed and retained by people who deploy analytical questionnaires while interviewing for automation testers.
Selenium Tricky Interview Questions PDF
- Tell me about the work you’ve been doing recently. What’s the most interesting bug that you’ve found, and why?
- What kind of challenges does testing present? Can you tell me about some specific software testing challenges you’ve faced, and how you overcame them?
- Why did you choose software testing as a career, and what motivates you to stick with it?
- Have you encountered any challenges working with your colleagues? Tell me about a specific instance when you were in a difficult situation, and how you dealt with it.
- How about situations where you have to make decisions… Have you ever made a bad decision? What contributed to you making that decision? How did you deal with the consequences?
- How have you added value to the organisations you’ve worked with? Can you give me a specific example from your last or current position?
- What process are you using for testing currently? Can you describe how you might improve it?
- What kind of tests have you been doing? What do you enjoy about them? How do you develop those tests?
- When you perform a test, what steps do you take? What’s your process?
- Have you ever written a test plan? What would you put in one?
- How do you know when it’s time to stop testing?
- What’s the role of risk in your testing? How do you analyse and measure it?
- Do you measure how effective (or not) your testing is? What metrics do you use?
- If I left you testing for two hours, what would you have to show me when I returned?
- Have you automated any of your tests? How so?
- What’s your favorite testing tool? Why? If some technical constraint meant you were unable to use it, what would you do instead?
- How do you know when you (or your automation) has found a bug? What makes it a bug? Are some bugs more important than others? How do you report them?
- What do you do if the developers decide the bug is not a bug?
- Testing can be challenging. What keeps you motivated?
- How do you stay at the top of your game? What self-learning do you do?
- What have you been criticized for in the past? How did you respond to that criticism? What did you do about it?
- Describe the characteristics of your ideal boss, and why.
Tricky Selenium Interview Questions
- Write code for Action class
- Write code for positive and negative scenarios for Alerts
- Write code for handling multiple windows
- Find odd number
- Disadvantages of Selenium
- Difference between get() and navigate().to()
- Write code to click on the Check box which is inside the Dynamic Table
- Write code for taking Screenshot
- Explains Maps in Java
- Explain framework (Questions based on your framework explanation)
- What is Pom.xml
- Which is the correct Xpath for this code (Lot of questions on Xpath)
- Xpath methods Ex: Starts-with & Contains
- The syntax for the CSS selector
- How to identify dynamic images
- From a given string, separate characters, integers, and special characters and store in a separate variable and print them
- Remove duplicates from ArrayList
- Print all the frame names
- How to read from XML or CSV file and store in hashmap
- Get the value of a cell in the Dynamic table
- What is the Burndown chart (Agile)
- Print these characters from a given string and change them to uppercase
- Explain Access specifiers
- Difference between Priority and Severity
- Example for High Priority and Low Severity and vice versa
- Difference between Test Strategy and Test Scenario
- What Software Metrics you have used in your project
- How to handle Dynamic Elements, since the webpage is designed in Angular Js
- Implicit and Explicit Waits
- Write code for Cross Browser Testing
- Explain Method Overloading and Method Overriding with Example
- What is Static Keyword
- Dependencies in Pom.xml
- Write code for fetching data from Excel
- Select this value in the dropdown and hover to this element and click
- Assert and Verify
- Check if a given string is Palindrome or not
- Remove duplicate characters from a string and print
- Which Code Repository you are using (Ex: GitHub)
- How will you estimate the time to automate a scenario?
- How to perform Right Click
- In a Dynamic Table, if I give 1 cell value, it should give me the values of other cells in that row
- Have you Developed any Tool, If yes explain
- Write code for handling Frames
- Read from a text file and store it in HashMap
- Print the occurrence of each character if it is present more than once in a given string
- Write code for nested drop-down, You have to check all the values in the dropdown, All permutation, and combination
- Advantages of Selenium
- How to check if a checkbox is displayed
- If the element is not present, how will you print the Element that is not present in the message?
- What all exceptions you have faced
- What all difficulties you have faced in Selenium
- What all TestNG Annotations you have used in the project
- Where will you maintain the code?
- What all Collections, you have used in your project
- How to run multiple test cases
- What are Primitive and Non-primitive Data Types?
- What are JDK, JRE, and JVM
- Settings.xml in Maven
- Eliminate first and last string from array and print
- What is Encapsulation
- What is the use of build() and perform() in Actions
- How you will check the actual vs expected result
- Xpath Axes, Ex: Following
- Automate Menu and Sub Menu and click on a link in Sub Menu and navigate to the page and click on an element
- Syntax for Alerts
- How will you generate Reports?
- What is the execution time of your test cases?
- Print a Reverse Pyramid
- Go to frame and click on the upload button and select the file which is in this directory
- Difference between PUTS and POST in API
- Read data from Excel and given that data as input for login and password and click on submit and validate the popup which says Login is successful
- Read data from two text files and compare if they are the same or not
- Read data from an Excel file and compare the data to the web table and check whether it is the same or not
- Select multiple options from the dropdown
- Explain Defect Lifecycle
- How many people are working on your project, what all teams are there
- What is your role in your project?
- How often Daily Triage Call will happen and what will be discussed
- What all packages you have used in your project
- How will you check Broken Links?
- Read from a text file and change that content
- Write test scenario for Credit Cards
- How to read Properties file
- Which is the latest Java version and which one you have used and what are the features of that version
- Check if the given two strings are an anagram
- What is the difference between Interface and Abstract Methods?
- Difference between BeforeSuite and BeforeMethod
- Difference between Default and Protected
- Write a program to divide without using division or modulus symbol
- String = ‘AaBbCcDD’ ,In that change a lowercase ‘a’ to uppercase
- Hierarchy of TestNg Annotations
- How many Sprints you have worked on, how often you will get Sprints
- How Agile Methodology works
- Do Exceptions have priority?
- Can a try block have more than 1 catch block?
- Can a class be Public, Private, Protected, and Default
- How will you compare the data from the database to the data on the webpage?
- Blackbox vs Whitebox Testing
- Explain Waterfall Methodology
- What is Traceability Matrix
- Explain STLC
- Explain SDLC
- What is a class
- What is an object
- What is a variable
- How to clone one list and store it in a new list
- How to run a group of test cases in TestNg
- How to include or exclude test case in TestNg
- How to run the parallel test case in TestNg
- What is Selenium Grid
- Can a Map have a Null value?
- What all different test annotations you have used in TestNg
- How to switch frame in Selenium
- Difference between this and super
- Difference between Constructor and Method
- Difference between String Buffer and String Builder
- Difference between List and Set
- How to run a test suite in different browsers
- What is static and final
- Difference between String and String Builder
- How to run failed test cases in TestNg
- Difference between Iterator and ListIterator
- How to set the proxy in Jenkins
- Explain Maven Life Cycle
- Explain POM
- What will be there in POM.xml
- Without using Select statement, how to select dropdown
- Difference between Sanity and Smoke Testing
- Can the Main Method be overridden?
- What is Retrospective Meeting?
- What all methods String has?
Tricky Selenium Automation Interview Questions
- What are XPath and its types?
- What are cross-browser testing and parallel testing?
- Challenges faced during selenium testing?
- What is the Actions class?
- How to handle drop-down in selenium?
- How to handle multiple browser pop up?
- How to handle multiple browser tabs in selenium?
- How to perform upload files using selenium?
- How to perform download files using selenium?
- How to get all values of dropdown in selenium?
- How to perform (control + a) through selenium?
- How to shift between tabs of the same browser using selenium?
- What is a Robot class?
- What is AutoIT?
- What is the difference between get() and navigate()?
- What are the difference between findElement() and findElements()?
- What is difference between quit() and close()?
- What are different locators used?
- Difference between XPath and CSS selector?
- Different approaches to click the submit button?
- Handling WebTable(static and dynamic) in selenium
- What is POM? Advantage and its disadvantage?
- What is a maven? list its phases or life cycle? Command to run our project through the maven?
- Explain ur project folder structure? Or Explain ur framework?
- What is TestNG?
- How to create and delete cookies?
- What does getwindowhandles() and getwindowhandle() return? Or its differences?
- Is it possible to use only perform() without build()? 30.What is perform() and build()?
- How to scroll the browser window?
- Preceding sibling and following sibling of custom XPath?
- What is the test management tool used in ur project?
- What is the build automation tool used in ur project?
- How u will handle the SSL certification?
- What are DesiredCapabilities?
- How to verify ‘Bangalore’ present in the dropdown box or not?
- How to verify ‘Bangalore’ present in 4×4 webtable? And print the column and row number of it is present?
- How to fetch the data from a particular row and column of excel?
- List all maven plugins like surefire plugin etc
- What is Jenkins? And explain its use?
- Explain the tags present in the testng.xml file
- What is TDD?
- What is BDD? Explain the cucumber framework? What are gherkins?
- What is Listener?
- What is DataProvider?
- What is parameterization?
- What is PageFactory?
- What is Apache POI API? Or how to read data from excel?
- What are explicit and implicit waits?
- What are the challenges faced in automation testing?
- Write code for handling multiple browsers and switch to new windows?
- What is webdriver? And why webdriver is used?
- List some selenium exceptions
- What is StaleElementReferenceException?When this occurs? And how to overcome such exceptions?
- How do you group the test cases? And why?
- How to include or exclude test cases?
- What is NullPointerException?When it occurs?
- What is a selenium grid?
- Should have knowledge of all TestNG annotations.
- How do you control the execution of your test cases/test classes?
- Git and its commands
- Maven commands to execute, debug, compile
- What is the current version of maven used?
- How to identify broken links? How have done you in your project? Write code or tell approach.
- Write a code to fetch the value ‘Test’ from the excel sheet which might be present in any cell in excel. Or check whether the value ‘Test’ is present in excel or not.
- How to pass values to textbox other than using sendKeys()?
- What is subversion?
Selenium Tricky Interview Questions
Selenium Tricky Interview Questions: Here are the best Selenium Tricky Interview Questions of Manual Testing.
- What are test design techniques? Explain BVA and ECP with some examples?
- Explain STLC
- Explain Bug Life Cycle
- What is the difference between bug and defect?
- What are severity and priority?
- Explain SDLC
- What are the differences between smoke and sanity testing?
Tricky Selenium Interview Questions For 5 Year Experienced Testers
Question asked in an interview in different organizations for 5 years of exp in last one month.
- Explain your current automation framework.
- Current roles and responsibilities.
- TestNg sequence.
- Why no main method is required in TestNG execution.
- How to connect to database.
- Simple SQL queries on a group by and conditions.
- SQL query to find the second highest salary without using a subquery.
- SQL query to sort the column in ascending.
- SQL query to find duplicate using self join.
- What is the difference between HTTP and HTTPS?
- Java program on finding duplicate characters.
- Java program on bubble sort.
- Excel utility to read excel using hashmap of hashmap.
- What is dependency injection in cucumber and testng Both and how we can achieve it?
- Program to remove white space and replace it with a comma.
- Java program for taking input in ArrayList and returning in an array.
- What is thrust testing?
- Write a creative test case for lift.
- Write cucumber feature file using datatable.
- What are the latest enhancements in selenium 4
- How to pass parameters in Jenkins.
- What is java generics and where you have used it in our current automation framework?
- Wap to take pass a get request using rest assured and from response verify if data present in the database using SQL.
- Difference between hashmap and linked hashmap
- Different error codes.
- What is the global variable in postman?
- Environment variable in postman.
- Difference between put and patch.
- What is the 409 response code?
- How to pass JSON file to a payload
- Pass payload using a hashmap.
- How to pass cookies in rest assured.
- What is OUTH and why company use nowadays?
- What is agile. Explain its different components. What is the burndown chart?
- Is velocity in agile.
- How to resolve conflict in Git.
- What is a pull request?
- How to reverse ur code in git
- Jenkins Cron’s job to set at every hour how.
- Apart from Jenkins what ci/cd tool you can use.
- What is an effective pom in maven?
- How many different build phases are available in maven.
- How to pass TestNG in maven file.
- How to create a profile in maven and execute the same.
- How the optimize ur current framework.
- What has expected conditions in explicit wait is it a class or interface.
- How to take ss of failed TC.
- How to rerun failed TC 3 times.
- What is the difference between drop and truncate in SQL?
- What is alert in selenium.
- Which framework is easy to handle data-driven, keyword-driven, or hybrid.
- Different design patterns we can use with selenium.
- Can we integrate Sprint boot with selenium?
- What is Jira? how ur project maintains test case and defect
- What are the deliverables you deliver after the project is done?
- How do you see automation growth in the next five years?
Tricky Selenium Interview Questions
What are the Selenium Tools, and Testing framework that you are using in your Current Project?
Ans: We are using,
- Selenium WebDriver for Creating Test Cases.
- Java Programming for Enhancing Test cases.
- TestNG Testing Framework for Grouping Test cases, executing Test batches, and generating Test reports. Also used,
- Firebug and Firepath for inspecting elements.
- IE Browser driver, Chrome browser driver for Cross Browser testing.
What is your Project Operating environment?
Ans: Microsoft Windows 8.1
What is your project domain and Application Environment?
Ans: Our project is Banking Application, Our AUT (Application Under Test) was developed using Java Technology and the Database is Oracle.
What are the major challenges in Functional Test Automation?
- Object Identification.
- Debugging Issues. etc…
What are the difficulties that you faced in Object identification?
Ans: Some Elements (Objects) are not recognized properly using Selenium WebDriver Element locators.
How do you conduct Data-driven Testing in your project?
Ans: We conducted Data-driven Testing using an external Excel file as Resource, we added some third-party excel jar files to Java Project in Eclipse.
How do you conduct Batch Testing in your project?
Ans: We conducted Batch Testing using TestNG Testing Framework.
How do you conduct Cross-browser testing in your project?
Ans: Using Mozilla Firefox, IE, and Google Chrome browsers(Downloaded IE and Google Chrome Browser drivers). we executed Test cases.
How do you handle duplicate Elements in your project?
Ans: Using the index property of Elements we handled duplicate objects.
How many Test cases did you write for your Project/Module?
Ans: I prepared around 120 Test cases in my Module.
How many defects do you detect and give one example?
Ans: I detected nearly 20 Defects of which 5 defects are Severe defects.
How do you select Test cases for Regression Testing?
Ans: We selected Test cases for Regression Testing based on Defect affected Test cases and defect-dependent Test cases.
How do you organize your Test Automation resources?
Did you use any build management tool in your project?
Ans: We used the Maven build management tool in our project.
How you handled errors in your Test scripts?
Ans: We handled errors in our Test Scripts using Java Error handling features.
Did you create any reusable components?
Ans: Yes, We created some reusable components in our project for Login Functionality, Registration Functionality, etc.
Did you find any Test Scenarios that not to be automated in your project using Selenium?
Ans: Yes, We find some Some Test Scenarios in our Current project, Functionalities that require more user interaction, Functionalities that require Dynamic test data submission.
How to execute multiple Java programs at a time?
Ans: We execute multiple Java programs using an XML file in the TestNG framework.
How to conduct parallel Test execution?
Ans: Usually We conduct Parallel Test Execution using Selenium Grid, but no parallel test execution in my Current project.
What Defect management / Test management tool you used in your project?
Ans: We are using the Jira Test Management tool in our project with Selenium.
How you communicated with the development team to resolve the issues.
Ans: We communicate Development team via Our Test Manager.
Did you involve in the Selenium Test environment Setup?
Ans: Yes, I involved in Selenium Environment Setup in my Current Project. As per my project, we selected Java, Selenium WebDriver and TestNG Framework, and Maven.
- We Downloaded Eclipse IDE and Extracted it.
- Downloaded Java Software and Installed.
- Environment Variable path setup.
- Downloaded Selenium WebDriver Java language bindings(jar files) and added them to Java Project in Eclipse.
- Downloaded and Installed TestNG Framework from Eclipse IDE.
- Installed Maven build management tool.