Test Case For Pen Test Case Template
We often see that interviewers ask us to write the sample test cases for the pen, and you can also test cases on Payment Gateway. It becomes quite harder to write them unless we break the test cases down into multiple categories like – performance, specification, negative tests, and usability tests, etc. So in this article, I’m jotting down some of the sample test cases, both positive and negative, for the pen.
Firstly, we need to understand the requirements against which the pen was created. Our test scenarios for pen should be based on these factors like Type of Pen (Ballpoint, Ink or Felt tip), the functionality of the pen, Compatibility, Installation and Un-installation, Performance, and Usability.
|Test Scenario Overview|
|Post On:||Test Case For Pen|
|Post Type:||Test Case Template|
|Applicable For:||Freshers & Experience|
The pen being tested is used by normal people and it would be used for their day to day writing needs and not somebody like an astronaut in space with zero gravity or a deep-sea diver who wants to write underwater.
Below is the test scenarios for Pen to be tested, and categorized based on the type of the Test.
Test Scenarios for Functionality
- Verify “type of Pen” (Ball Point or Ink or Felt tip) etc., Let’s assume it’s Ball Point pen as further scenarios will change based on the Pen type.
- Test Pen colour is as per specification.
- Test if the ink colour is as per specification.
- Test ink impression/colour on paper remains consistent from start till ink in the refill gets over.
- Test Dimensions of the Pen, Size length and Shape of the Pen meets the requirements.
- Test if the pen writes smoothly and continuously without breaks or blots on the paper.
- Test if the ink on paper dries quickly as per requirement (assume less than 1 second as per requirement).
- Test if the thickness of the line drawn by the pen tip is as per specification (0.4 mm etc.).
- Keep the ballpoint of the pen in contact with paper for a considerable amount of time and check if the inkblots.
- Write on different types of paper (smooth, rough, cardboards, etc.,) and confirm pen writes correctly on all types of papers.
- Check if the pen cap has a gripper so that the user can plug the pen to the shirt pocket firmly.
- Test if the ink is waterproof. Write on paper, dip paper in water, and check if writing/ink has faded or smudged.
- Verify that the ink used does not have a bad odour because of the chemicals used in the ink.
- The check weight of the pen is as per requirements.
- Test pen can be used for writing with various angles like straight, slant, etc. Different writing angle should not
- impact the quality of the impression made on the paper nor should the pen tip be damaged.
Validate dimensions (length, circumference) and weights of the pen are as per specifications.
Performance test scenarios
- Test if Pen works in extreme temperatures like less than 0 degrees and at higher temperatures like 60 etc.
- Test if pen works in higher and lower altitudes i.e. in different gravity.
- Test if the pen works with lower and higher atmospheric pressures. The ink may not flow evenly in lower or higher atmospheric pressures.
- Test if the pen functions if it is used for writing continuously for a longer duration (say for 10 hours).
- Keep scribbling on paper vigorously and continuously for several minutes to check friction on the ball does not damage the pen tip.
- Test how much can be written using 1 complete refill. Measure the distance it can write and compare it with the specification.
- Test if the ink dries up if the pen is kept open (without cap) for a longer duration.
- Dip pen in water for a considerable amount of time, take it out, dry it out in open air and write. Verify pen still writes without any issues.
|Related Test Cases|
|☑️ Password Test Case Scenario||☑️ Payment Gateway Test Cases|
|☑️ Pencil Test Cases||☑️ Pendrive Test Cases|
Load test scenarios
- Drop the pen from reasonable height say about 5 to 6 feet multiple times with different angles like Pen tip hitting the floor dead on and pen falling flat on ground etc., Verify pen is not broken and pen still writes without issues.
- Press the pen hard on to surface while writing, check if pen still writes and Pen tip or pen itself does not break.
Drop pen on the ground, stamp it to test if it can bear reasonable external weight (e.g.: up to 100 Kgs). Verify pen is not broken and still writes as expected.
- Pen should work put force abruptly.
Compatibility Test Scenarios
- Write on different type’s materials like leather, cloth, plastic sheet, and rubber etc, Verify ink dries quickly.
Test compatibility of refills of the same and other brands.
Installation and Un-installation Test Scenarios
- Disassemble and assemble the pen. Remove cap, remove refill, etc, and put it back. Test if the pen writes as expected.
- Change Refill and Test if the pen writes as expected.
Usability Test Scenarios
- Test if Pen is usable across age (Children to age) and by different Professionals like Lawyers, Doctors, and Businessmen, etc. can write comfortably with the pen.
- Check with the different audience if the colour and dimension of the Pen are acceptable for their usage or profession.
- Test if ink leaks from refill when the pen is kept upside down for the longer duration.
- Test materials used in the pen are recyclable.
- Test to see if there are smaller parts in the pen that people can accidentally swallow, especially children have a tendency to stick the rear end of the pen in their mouth while thinking and some people have the habit of the chewing pen as they think.
- Test external material of the pen is made of non-toxic material. Check pen has a firm grip, comfortable to hold, and does not slip while writing (even for a longer time, when finger and hands sweat).
- Pen’s should not leak when open.
- Pen’s should be refilled if its not a use and throw kind of pen.
- Pen should have atleast refill in it.
- Pen’s weight should not be more than 10gms.
Design based Pen Test Case
Each pen is unique in design and follows a particular pattern for the design. So we have to write the test cases for the same.
- Does it make follows the design specification?
- Does it have the colour as per specification?
- Does the tip of the pen as per the specification?
- Does the grip hold as per the specification?
- Does the pen gets closed properly either by cover or with the click of a button at the top?
- Does the logo of the company is placed as per the design specification?
Functional Test Cases
- Write on paper and see if it works or not.
- Write on the paper of rough surface and see if it writes or not.
- Write and check if it has the same link as a specification.
- Pen should have enough grip so that user can get hold of it.
- Pen should work on paper.
- Pen having more than one refill to work with shall have proper click button so that user can opt for the suitable refill to work with.
Performance and Load Test Cases
- Check it works in continuous writing.
- Check the temperature has any effect on the pen ink or tip.
- Check the pen works on wet paper.
- Check the pen operates by keeping the pen in a horizontal position while writing with the paper placed on a wall.
- Check if the pen operates if the tip is held facing a vertical position for long.
- Check if the tip of the pen works on both rough surfaces and then back to the smooth surface of the paper.
- Check if the tip works fine while writing on hand.
- When put in various cold and hot temperature, Pen’s speed should not get effective
- Pen should work on board
- Pen should not work on leaves.
- Pen should work on clothes.
Negative Test Cases
- Check it has ink or not.
- Check it has the right coloured ink.
- Check it works for a specific meter specified in the specification.
- Verify the capacity of the tip by putting the tip in the water and then trying to write with it.
- Verify if the tip works on both rough and smooth surfaces by writing with various angles and then using it back on the normal paper surface.
- Verify it works on the smooth surface.
Pen Test Case Scenario
- Verify the type, whether it is a ballpoint, ink or gel pen
- Verify the outer body, whether it should be metallic, plastic or any other material as per the specification
- Verify that length, breadth, and other size specifications.
- Verify that it is with a cap or without a cap
- Verify that it has a rubber grip or not
- Verify the colour of the ink.
- Verify the colour.
- Verify the size of the tip.
- Verify the company name or logo of the maker is correct and at the desired place
- Verify that it is smooth
- Verify if the ink gets leaked in case it is tilted upside down
- Verify if the pens get leaked at higher altitude
- Verify the type of surfaces we can write at
- Verify if the text written by the pen is erasable or not
- Verify its ink condition at extreme temperature is as per the specification
- Verify the pressure up to which the pen’s tip can resist and work correctly
- Verify that is breakable or not at a certain height as the specification
- Verify text written doesn’t get faded before a certain time as per the specification
- Verify the effect of water, oil and other liquid on the text written
- Verify the condition of ink after a long period of time is as per permissible specification or not
- Verify the total amount of text that can be written by at one go
- Verify that ink is waterproof or not
- Verify that it can write when used against the gravity- upside down
- Verify that in the case of the ink pen, the pen’s ink can be refilled again
- Verify that it has a transparent body or not.
- verify that can we able to see refill or not.
|Tasks To Improve Your Knowledge|
|☑️ Test cases for Bottle||☑️ Test case for pencil|
|☑️ Test cases for fan||☑️ Test cases for atm|
|☑️ Test cases for pen drive||☑️ Test cases for lift|
|☑️ Test cases for chair||☑️ How to write test cases for Pen in Excel sheet|
|Let We Inform you, For improve your knowledge you can take the above as a task and you can work on that. But from the above task list some of the tasks we have already completed and you can find those on our blog. After Completion if you want to share with us that then you can write to us at email@example.com. |
In return for that maybe we plan something more surprising for your career.
There are many other additional tests, but these are the ones that you can come up with when you have no visual idea of the pen and also don’t know the specification of the product. I hope these test cases help you with interviews or while discussing it with peers. Feel free to let me know if you have any suggestions or comments.