Payment Gateway Test Case Template: Payment gateway testing is quite common for the testers who work in the startup or the service industry. I have decided to write this post for those who have asked for the test cases of such gateways in the past.
The current images of the payment gateway options shown below are from the CCavenue’s payment gateway used on one of the leading phone recharge websites in India. The options offered in the payment gateway are for Debit card, Credit Card, NetBanking, ATM Card, EzeCard(American Express).
Real-time Test Cases: Mobile Test Case
We are going to follow the modular approach to test the payment gateway options. So for manual testing, let’s start with writing test cases for each of the payment options. First, let’s check out the payment gateway options screenshot. This screenshot you can use to write down initial test cases.
As you can see, you’re presented with multiple options for the payment. So the test cases for this part of the payment gateway are as follows.
Default Payment Gateway Options Test Cases
- Check if each of the payment options is selectable.
- Check if the each listed payment option opens the respective payment option as per specification.
- Check if the payment gateway defaults to the debit card option.
- Check if the default option for debit card shows the card selection drop-down menu.
Debit Card Options Test Cases
- Check if the drop-down menu of the debit card selection page has a “select” option text-enabled.
- Check if the dropdown menu lists the following cards – Visa, MasterCard, American Express, etc.
- Check if the respective card selection opens the expiry date, card number, and CVV options.
- Check if the tab offers an option to save the card.
- Check if the tab offers an option to name the saved card.
Credit Card Options Test Cases
- Check if the card options allow card number, expiry date, CVV value text fields.
- Check if the card options tab allows text to be added to the text fields.
- Check if the number is added to the credit card number field detects the type of card (e.g., visa etc.)
- Check if the tab offers an option to name the saved card.
Netbanking Options Test Cases
- Check if the tab offers existing banks to be selected using the radio button for net banking transactions.
- Check if the tab offers options to select other banks than the listed with radio button selection.
- Check if the tab offers all the leading banks from the country for the net banking transactions.
- Check if the tab offers a net banking option for both local and international banks for the transactions.
- Check if the net banking option has at least 8 banks for the transaction using radio button selection inside the tab.
- Check if the selection of the radio button or the drop-down menu option takes us to the net banking.
ATM Card Options Test Cases
- Check if the ATM only card is allowed to be used on this tab.
- Check if at least 6 banks are used in the tab using the radio button selection.
- Check if at least one of the drop-down button near the bank logo is selected by default.
- Check if the banks selected allow processing of the transaction using ATM card details.
Cash Card Options Test Cases
- Check if the cash card tab lists its cash or oxygen as options.
- Check if the default radio button is selected for the itzcash.
- Check if the transactions using cash cards is allowed by the payment gateway.
- Check if the transactions are possible with the cash cards under respective shopping site.
AMEX Ezeclick Options Test Cases
- Check if the EzeClick option lets you link to the external site from which you can perform the rest of the transaction.
- Check if this option is enabled by default.
- Check if this option allows a transaction for a particular website using the respective payment gateway.
These are some of the test cases which I think should be included in your test design. You can add validation for the text fields. You can also go for the validation for the automatic detection of the options.
I can add even more to the above options, like checking each bank option and see if the gateway transfers the user to the respective website. Again for sandbox usage and with manual testing, this will take a lot of time. But these are pretty much simple enough test cases for the payment gateway.
Feel free to let me know if you have any other suggestions and feedback. I’d appreciate your comments on the test cases.
We Can Try some Other Format of Payment Gateway Test Case
How to Test Payment Gateway Functionality?
To test payment gateway functionality is the same as test any other functionality. You should have some test strategy during testing it. The following are some points keep in mind during testing of payment gateway.
- Gather appropriate test data for the dummy credit card numbers for various master cards.
- Gather payment gateway information like whether used PayPal, guestpay, etc.
- Gather payment gateway documents with error codes – useful it if any error came during testing to identify whether its our application fault or payment gateway related error.
- Does the gateway do what it is supposed to do? Does it handle order objects correctly? Does it perform additional calculations correctly?
- Understanding of the integration of the payment gateway with application
- Understand and test the parameters and sessions passed through payment gateway and application
- Understand and test the amount related information passed through query string or session or variables in any form.
- Check the format of the amount with currency format
- Check the language of the application and payment gateway language
- Try to change payment gateway language during the payment process
- Test after successful payment all the necessary data retrieved to our application or not
- Check what happens if payment gateway goes down during the payment process
- Check what happens if the payment process went successful but do not return to our application
- Check what happens if the session goes time out during the payment process
- Check what happens in the backend during the payment process is the session data stored in a temporary table, or any id is generated or not?
- Check what happens if the payment process is fail
- Check if any modification transaction is going on through payment gateway, then how much amount is taken out as a modified amount, whether required to pay more or not. For example- if the modified amount is greater than the paid amount then and then only application redirect to payment gateway; otherwise, it should not.
- Verify DB entries for the transaction whether they store credit card details and all or not
- Verify DB entries for the amount related fields in the database for the fresh transaction, modified transaction, and canceled the transaction.
- Verify error page during the payment gateway process
- Verify security passes for the transaction
- Sometimes payment gateway sent confirmation through popup dialogs – so test popup blocker related settings also. What happens is the popup blocker is on and all this.
- Check buffer pages between application and payment gateway (firefox firebug add-on will be helpful to test)
I hope guys will be helpful to you in your testing. If any new points are there, then update it in comments, so I also get the update in my knowledge.