Test Case for Notepad || Notepad Test Cases Template
Test cases for notepad are asked in many testing interviews. Depending on your level of experience, you’ll be asked to feature specific test cases for the notepad. Depending on the operating system you use, the notepad application will have different features and some additional or fewer features.
Let’s assume the notepad application that we are going to test here is windows based “Notepad”. It has the following options: create a new file, save the file, save the file with different extension, word wrap, copy, paste, delete, and exit.
|Test Scenario Overview|
|Post On:||Test Case For Notepad|
|Post Type:||Test Case Template|
|Applicable For:||Freshers & Experience|
Generic Test Cases for Notepad
- Check if the data is saved after writing to the file.
- Check the functionality for the save as a file.
- Check if the notepad allows the same file name in the same file path.
- Check if the edits to the file are saved.
- Check the functionality of the close, maximize, and minimize buttons.
- Check if the window for notepad can be re-sized.
- Check the default size of the notepad is based on the last saved window size.
- Check if the clearing system cache has any difference in the size of the notepad window after you open any file.
These were some of the common test cases, but if you want to go application-specific test cases, then you have to check each item on the menu.
Test Case for New File Option
- Create a new file using CTRL+N hotkey.
- Create a new file using the File> New menu option.
- Create a new file using Windows Icon+ Menu > Accessories > Notepad.
Test Case for Undo Option:
- Click on Undo option in Edit Menu.
- Use CTRL+Z hotkey to undo the text changes.
|Related Test Cases|
|☑️ Test Case For Mouse||☑️ Test Case For New Folder Renaming|
|☑️ Test Case For Ola||☑️ Test Case For One time Password OTP|
Test Case for Copy Option:
- Click on the Cut option in Edit Menu
- Use CTRL+C hotkey to cut the text selected.
- Use cut option in the edit menu without selecting any text.
- Use CTRL+C hotkey without selecting text.
Test Case for Paste Option:
- Click on Paste option in Edit Menu
- Use CTRL+V hotkey to paste the text selected.
- Use Paste option in the edit menu without selecting any text.
- Use CTRL+V hotkey without selecting text or area.
Test Cases for Save Option:
- Save the empty file.
- Save the file with maximum text content.
- Save the file with less than the maximum allowed to store in a file.
- Save the file on the desktop.
- Save the file with the same file name that two of the earlier saved file and choose the same file path.
- Save the file with word-wrapped and close it to open again after a few seconds.
- Save the file without word-wrapped and close it to open again after a few seconds.
- Save the file from the file menu.
- Save the file using CTRL+S hotkey.
- Save the file with the ASCII character set.
- Save the file with the UTF character set.
- Save the file with multiple encoding character set.
- Save the file with Unicode endian character set.
Test Case for Exit Option:
- Exit the application by clicking the file>exit menu.
- Exit the application by using the ALT+F4 system hotkey.
Some of the other common test cases for cross-platform applications
- Check if the find option exists for the notepad.
- Check if the navigation within the text is possible with the arrow keys on the keypad.
- Check the default position of the cursor (before, after the saving file).
- Check if the notepad has found and replaced functionality.
Functional Test Cases For Notepad
- The new page should be blank and cursor at the beginning of the first line.
- The application allows typing
- The application allows saving
- The application allows opening a saved instance
- Validate menus and submenus
- Type of data that can be saved (numeric, alphanumeric, special chars)
- Editing the saved data(changing the font size, type, deleting, adding) and saving the changes.
- Saving a blank file.
- Validate file name: renaming file/keeping the default name/duplicate file name/sp chars in filename
Non-functional Test Cases For Notepad
- Do performance testing by opening, say, 100 instances of notepad (possibly by using an automated tool), and determining the response time.
- Check the max length of the data.
|Tasks To Improve Your Knowledge|
|☑️ Test case template||☑️ Test cases for pen|
|☑️ Notepad online test||☑️ Test scenarios for table|
|☑️ Test plan scenarios||☑️ Test cases for time|
|☑️ URL testing scenarios||☑️ Test scenarios for BookMyShow|
|Let We Inform you, For improves your knowledge you can take the above as a task and you can work on that. But from the above task list some of the tasks we have already completed and you can find those on our blog. After Completion if you want to share with us that then you can write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In return for that maybe we plan something more surprising for your career.
There are many other test cases that you can come up with for each entry in the menu. Some of the options vary depending on the version of the notepad you are using. I hope that the above test cases are sufficient enough to test the basic functionality of the notepad. Feel free to let me know your suggestions and feedback in the comment section below.