Login Page Test Case Templates
This post is the continuation of the Manual test case series. Here we are going to discuss all the possible test scenarios of Login Page.
In your testing carer, you may have got a chance to test any web application which has the login functionality. If you have come across such similar functionality then you got to know that help to secure your application.
Those have valid credentials those peoples can only access the application. So login Page is taken care of a major role in the application. So we are trying to cover all the possible test scenarios. As per the client requirement, the condition may change. So in this post, we are trying to cover some of the common scenarios. The login page not only gives you the authority to change into your account but also provides the freedom to see the critical and confidential information behind the login page.
|Test Scenario Overview|
|Post On:||Test Case For Login Page|
|Post Type:||Test Case|
|Applicable For:||Freshers & Experience|
Elements Of a Login Page
Before writing the test scenario for the login page try to imagine or if you have the mockup screen. Then first try to find all the elements of the page. The Login page may have the below elements on it:
- Email / Username / Password Text Box
- Remember Me CheckBox
- Login Button
- Login via the Facebook button
- Log in via a Twitter button
- Login via GitHub button
- Login via Google button
- Login Screen For Different resolution on Mobile, Desktop & Tab.
- If you try to access Your account without login then it should be redirected to the login page
- Spam users accounts are deactivated and they should not be able to log in
- CAPTCHA displayed on 10 try to log in unsuccessfully
we try to discuss all the possible negative and positive scenarios of the Login page test case with some basic examples. If we have missed some basic test scenarios, which can lead to bad user experience.
So, we came up with the list of scenarios to Test Login Page, and gradually we will be adding more such checks to this list.
|Related Test Cases|
|Account Deactivation Test Cases||Amazon Login Screen Test Cases|
|Amazon Search Functionality Test Cases||Gmail Test Cases|
|Login Attempts Test Cases||Login Page Test Cases|
|Login Screen Page Test Case||Logout Test Cases|
Category For Login Page Test Case
For this scenario, first let us divide all the possible categories like:
- Basic Field Validations of GUI
- Security Validations
- Testing Captcha
Basic Field Validation On GUI:
- Check is the cursor is the focus at the username text box when you open the login page.
- Check is the login page contains all the elements as per the specification document.
- Check tab functionality (move the cursor one text box to other text boxes) is working or not.
- Check for the text boxes minimum and maximum length is defined or not.
- Check Password field values are displaying in masked format or not.
- Check the validation message is displaying or not based on the input value.
- Check the valid credential user should be able to log in
- Check is the user is redirected to the forget password page after clicking on the forget password link.
- Check is the user is redirected to the signup page after click on the signup page.
- Check users should not able to login with valid user names and invalid passwords.
- Check user should not be able to invalid user name and valid password.
- Check user should not be able to login with blank user field and valid password.
- Check user should not be able to login with a valid user and blank password field.
- The system should block the IP or User name after frequent unsuccessful (defined invalid login attempts) of login.
- Check is the data of all the text boxes is clear after hit the reset button.
Security Test Scenarios:
- XSS scripts should not affect the system and Users should not be allowed to log in. A proper validation message should be displayed.
- Users should not be allowed to copy and paste the password from the text boxes.
- Check if a user is a login from a new device then a notification should be sent to the registered user.
- SSL certificate should be implemented/ installed to secure the platform.
- The password should not be worked when copied.
- The login form should not reveal security information in view page source mode.
- The login form should not be vulnerable to SQL injection.
- Check when a logged-in user copy URL and paste in a new window, it should redirect to the login page.
- Two-way authentication through OTP on mobile/email should be tested for banking applications.
- Check when a user does not validate the captcha then the user should not be allowed to log in.
- There should be a link so that a user can refresh the captcha.
- Check the input field of captcha is case sensitive or not.
- There should be an option for audio support, so after playing the audio user can fill the captcha.
- The angle and background texture of captcha should be different so that captcha cracking programs can not break them easily.
- Check if a user successfully logs out, if the user clicks the back button should not take User to logged-in mode.
- If a user is log in through multiple devices and if he logs out from one device then automatically the user should logout from all the devices.
- Maximum Session out time should be set for Secured website
Browser related testing:
- If a user clears all the cookies of a browser and tries to go to a specific page of the application then it should ask for credentials again.
- ‘Remember Form Data’ setting of the browser should not remember the password
- Validate the login functionality when browser cookies are turned OFF
If you still try to write the test scenario in an excel format then you can follow one of our earlier published articles, Where we have to write in detail how to write the test cases in Excel sheet?.
we hope we have covered almost all various types of testing scenarios, but if you found any missed test case, then you can comment in the comment section. We will update this Login page test scenario article as per your suggestions.
✅ How do you write a test case for a login page?
You can write the test case by using paid tools like Qtest, VSTS, or also you can also write test cases in an excel sheet.
✅ How do you write a negative case for a login page?
You can write a negative test case for some scenarios like:
1. Valid User Name & Invalid Password
2. Invalid User Name & Valid Password
3. Username and password field is not fillup and user click on submit button
✅ How do you write a test case for Captcha?
In our login Page test cases post we have mentioned about how you can test Captcha also.