File Transfer Test Cases: Learn how to write test cases for file transfer. This post is written to address the interview question regarding the test cases for file transfer. The question asked was specific to the FTP software, and in some of the cases, the test was supposed to be regarding the file transfer within the Web app.
|Test Scenario Overview|
|Post On:||Test Case For File Transfer|
|Post Type:||Test Case Template|
|Applicable For:||Freshers & Experience|
Here for this post, I’m assuming that file transfer of FTP application like Filezilla is under test. You can pick up web-based file transfer and adjust the test cases accordingly. Some of the test cases are going to be common among them.
Let’s assume you’re using an application – FileZilla.
Check the screenshot below for application with file transfer features.
Check More: OTP Test Case
Test Cases File Transfer
- Check if the transfer application is initiated.
- Check if the transfer starts successfully.
- Check if the transfer modes – binary or ASCII are available.
- Check if the transfer permission is set to 644 on a server.
- Check if the file is added to the transfer queue successfully.
- Check if the transfer can be started without adding a file.
- Check if the transfer can be started by sending an empty file.
- Check if the file with a number as a file name is accepted for file transfer.
- Check if the file with maximum character is accepted for file transfer.
- Check if the file without the extension is accepted for file transfer.
- Check if a file that exceeds the maximum number of characters by 1 (max+1) can be sent.
- Check if the file with 1 character or number is allowed to transfer.
- Check if you can set the Unicode endian character set without selecting the type of file transfer like ASCII or binary.
- Check if you can send the file successfully by setting the file transfer type as binary.
- Check if the file is possible to be sent by selecting the type as ASCII.
- Check if the file is possible to be sent where a file has an entire ASCII character set.
- Check if the file is possible to be sent where the file has an entire UTF-8 character set.
- Check if the file is possible to be sent where the file has a Unicode character set.
- Check if the file transfer can be initiated at low upload speed, such as 2Kbps or lower.
- Check if the transfer can be finished in a specific duration at high upload speed, such as 1mbps.
- Check if the transfer can be initiated and finished on the 2G Edge network.
- Check if the transfer can be initiated and finished on the 3G network.
- Verify if the transfer speed meets the specification of the test.
- Check if it is possible to upload the file that exceeds the upload speed specification and allowed upload bandwidth limit.
- Verify the time taken by the upload process by uploading multiple files under test.
You need to write the test steps for the above test cases. Just make sure that you are covering the important test steps that can pretty much be used for executing the above test cases. Read the below test steps to get the basic idea.
|Related Test Cases|
|☑️ Test Case For Factorial||☑️ Test Case For Fan|
|☑️ Test Case For Find Replace||☑️ Test Case For Flight Reservation System|
Test Steps to Verify File Transfer
- Open the application and obtain the FTP credentials from the server admin.
- Navigate to the location directory.
- Make the sure connection for file transfer isn’t broken.
- Verify the file transferred correctly.
- Check if the upload progress-bar shows 100% status after a file is uploaded, and a message is also shown in logs.
- Check if the uploaded file doesn’t get happened to some new name after upload.
- Check if the uploaded file doesn’t change with size.
- Check if the uploaded file location is not changed.
- Open the file.
- Verify the contents of the file are not changed.
So I hope that the test cases and the test steps for the execution help you. If you have any other questions and suggestions regarding the post, feel free to let me know in the comments.
|Tasks To Improve Your Knowledge|
|☑️ Positive and negative test cases for file upload||☑️ File upload test cases owasp|
|☑️ File transfer test||☑️ Sample test case for image upload|
|☑️ Test cases for uploading a video||☑️ Sample test cases for manual testing in excel|
|☑️ Test cases for header and footer||☑️ Test cases for submit button|
|Let We Inform you, For improves your knowledge you can take the above as a task and you can work on that. But from the above task list some of the tasks we have already completed and you can find those on our blog. After Completion if you want to share with us that then you can write to us at email@example.com.
In return for that maybe we plan something more surprising for your career.
I’d appreciate your feedback and will try to improve the upcoming posts. Please feel free to share this page’s URL on social media with your friends and ask them to comment here.