The graphical user interface is an important part of software applications irrespective of whether the application is a web-based or mobile app. For checking the graphical user interface we need to focus on some of the things which are generally mentioned in the checklist for UI Testing.
|Post On:||UI Testing|
|Post Type:||Manual Testing Tutorials|
|Applicable For:||Freshers & Experience|
|Get Updates:||Software Testingo Telegram Group|
It is a graphical user interface that end-users first come across and get the impression of the application. If the graphical user interface is up to the customer’s expectation, the customer is more likely to accept the application happily as compared to the application whose all functionalities are working but the graphical user interface is not as per client expectation.
So it is very important that any graphical user interface elements do not function inappropriately and all the graphical elements should function as per expectation. There is a checklist available for UI testing graphical user interface but before going to the checklist let us understand Graphical user interface UI testing in more detail.
What is the User Interface?
First of all, we should understand what is the user interface. The user interface is the front view of the application which is used by the end-user to use and interact with the software application. The user can work on the software and hardware only through the user interface.
Graphical user Interface
The graphical user interface provides the graphical interface for the end-user to interact with the software application.
Graphical user Interface UI Testing Checklist
Graphical user interface testing or UI testing checklist may be considered as a guideline to not only the UI testing team but also the development team to follow the known and set standard of the graphical user interface by performing graphical development and testing the application to maintain the set standard.
Graphical user Interface Testing
There are a number of interface elements that need to be checked while doing graphical user interface UI testing. Not only are layout, design, size, and alignment of the interface element action done, but also the functionality related to interface elements are checked.
For example, whether the application is meeting expected behavior after clicking the button or showing expected behavior on selecting menu elements, selecting drop-down items, or selecting different checkboxes.
All the test cases should be prepared for each unique action done on graphical user interface elements. Test cases on graphical user interface elements may be automated also, so as to save time and effort while doing continuous testing.
Checklist to perform graphical user interface UI testing
Let us look at the checklist of some of the things which require special attention while performing graphical user interface testing and are given below.
- Navigation: Check navigation from all the menu, menu items, or any toolbar which is used for navigation on the web page. One more thing that should be kept in mind is that navigation should be checked with both mouse and keyboard and also, it should be checked that all the navigation links are getting directed to the expected navigation page. Apart from checking out the link navigation, we should also check that there is no blank link that does not direct to any other page.
- Formatting: As a graphical user interface tester, we need to see formatting for special controls like calendar control for setting dates in the control fields, drop-down lists which contain drop-down list items, etc. Also, there is a need to see that elements contained in these controls are properly formatted.
- Colors and fonts of the text: It is important to check that the colors and font sizes and font of the text used in the application are uniforms.
- Scrolls: It is important to check that the horizontal scroll and vertical Scroll are properly aligned and have been used only in the case it was required. The graphical interface tester should get all scrolls eliminated if they are no longer required on the web page.
- Controls and alignments: It is important to check that all controls, text contents, menu items, and labels are properly aligned. Also, it is important to see that window is resizable at all resolutions. Also, there is a need to check the responsiveness of the website on different devices.
- Spelling and grammar: Spelling and grammar check should be done for all text elements whether it is appearing on the window or on the error message on the popup window or any other place on the window. No spelling and grammar mistakes should be there in the software application.
- Tab: Tabbing should follow the proper sequence from top left to right bottom which is usually the default tab sequence. Disabled and read-only fields should be avoided in the tab sequence.
- Images: There should be proper checking of topics alignment on different devices to check whether the images are displayed properly on different devices or not.
- Usability: Usability means how much user-friendly the application is. For testing usability, the tester needs to test applications like the end-user and check whether the controls like buttons, labels, checkboxes, radio buttons, text boxes, etc. are behaving as per requirement or not.
These are some of the checklist guidelines which we follow during graphical user interface testing. Overall. we can say that graphical user interface testing a web application/App is a very important part of testing and as a tester, we need to leave no stone unturned while doing graphical user interface testing because there is never a second chance to give the first impression of the application the client.
Leave a Reply