Test Documentation in Software Documenting: Test documentation having the number of documents that created before or during the testing of software. It is a vital part of software testing because by using that documentation, we can get to know various things like how much testing efforts needed, test coverage, resource tracking, and execution progress, etc.
It is important for a project or product success. If the documentation is poor, non-existence, or wrong, then it parallels reflect on the product and customer.
Software Requirements Documentation
Testing of artifacts like test plan, test design description, test case, bug report, test execution report, test procedure description, test case description, and test summary report is known as documentation testing. Preparing documents in testing also can be started from the very beginning stage of the software process, and we can save lots of money for the organization because, with the proper documentation, we can get the defects in the early stage so the defect fix cost will be low for that issue.
Important Software testing documents
Here I am mentioning few software testing documents which are maintained regularly in the organization
- Test plan – this piece of artifact describes the testing scope and activities like scope, approach, resources, schedule, etc.
- Test case and design specification – it is some set of the condition by using that a tester will determine the test satisfy the requirement and work correctly or not.
- Test strategy – it is a high-level document which describes the approach of software testing
- Test summary reports – this document contains an overview of the final test result and test activities.
- Weekly status reports – this report has the summary of the work you did during.
- User Documents/ manuals
- User Acceptance Report
- Risk Assessment
- Test Log
- Bug reports
- Test data
- Test analysis
For preparing the above documents, software testers required these documents
- Software requirement specification
- Functional documents
Software testing documents is an important role in each project or product development and testing phase. So documentation of every action is a good habit and helps you stay on a safe side. Don’t depend on verbal communication.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about this topic discussed above, then you can use our contact us page.