Lift Test Cases Templates: This question is asked in many interviews regardless of years of experience. I have noticed that the more experience you have, the more basic questions like these appear. So here are some of my test scenarios and negative test cases for Elevator, aka Lift.
Read Also: manual testing interview questions cognizant
Test Scenarios: You can come up with plenty of test scenarios, but for the easy to remember way, I suggest the following test scenarios.
Assum lift takes max. 300KG weight. So by applying the boundary value analysis, we can decide on more test cases.
- How much weight can it take to go up?
- How much weight can it take down w.r.t to specified weight?
A lift has a number pad and a few controls to operate itself.
Read Also: test cases for the bottle
- Are the controls self-explanatory?
- Are the controls usable by a blind person?
- Are the controls guided by voice messages?
- Is the functionality as per specification?
- Is the control functioning as it is supposed?
- What happens when it is overweight, does it still work?
- What happens if the auto-close functionality is not working?
- Is the control pad comfortable to use?
- Is the experience inside lift makes the person uncomfortable due to gravity pull?
- Is the lift making noise while going up or down?
Height, Weight & Volume
The test cases on height, weight, and volume can be made based on the specifications. Few more test cases that can be added into this are as follows:
- How much time does it take to reach every floor?
- How much time does it take from the top of the building to the ground floor?
- How many people can it take regardless of their weight?
- What happens when it takes more people than the capacity?
- What happens to the people inside the lift when a power failure happens?
- How can many runs lift make on power backup?
- Does it show the right number on the floor?
- Does the lift gets blocked when more than 1 floor makes a request?
Negative Test Cases for Lift
- Add one more person than the specified weight and check the response.
- Add a number of people regardless of weight and check the volume limitations.
- Create smoke or fire inside the lift and check the response.
- Try pressing the open button while the lift is moving.
- Press the stop button before reaching the specific floor.
- Put small obstacles near the sensors that detect auto-close functionality.
Other Different Test Case:
- Verify the dimensions
- Verify the type of door is as per the specification
- Verify the type of metal used in the lift interior and exterior
- Verify the capacity in terms of the total weight
- Verify the buttons in the lift to close and open the door and numbers as per the number of floors
- Verify that lifts moves to the particular floor as the button of the floor is clicked
- Verify that lifts stop when up/down buttons at particular floor are pressed
- Verify if there is an emergency button to contact officials in case of any mishap
- Verify the performance of the floor – the time is taken to go to a floor
- Verify that in case of power failure, it doesn’t free-fall and get halted on the particular floor
Check More Test Cases: Ecommerce Website Test Case
- Verify lifts working in case button to open the door is pressed before reaching the destination floor
- Verify that in case the door is about to close and an object is placed between the doors if the doors since the object and again open or not
- Verify the time duration for which door remain open by default
- Verify if the lift interior has proper air ventilation
- Verify lighting in the lift
- Verify that at no point lifts door should open while in motion
- Verify that in case of power loss, there should be a backup mechanism to safely get into a floor or a backup power supply
- Verify that in case multiple floor number button is clicked, it should stop at each floor
- Verify that in case of the capacity limit is reached users are prompted with warning alert- audio/visual
- Verify those inside users are prompted with current floor and direction information the lift is moving towards- audio/visual prompt
You can, of course, come up with many more test cases based on the available data. I hope the test cases here have helped you during your interviews or for your personal use. Let me know your suggestions in comments